Saturday, July 02, 2005

Tom Cruise - from Top Gun to know-it-all

Tom Cruise has suddenly become an authority outside of acting. I hadn't been paying much attention to the man because I don't normally consider the latest celebrity make-up and break-ups to be a number one priority in international news. But when someone decides to become an expert in all things in existence (including what may not be in existence for that matter) I think that is when you should take a step into the story and see what is going on.

A couple weeks ago I was talking among friends and asked "Why don't people ever shoot back at reporters when they say stupid things?" I would think reporters and interviewers would be less docile than they tend to be on television. Tom Cruise has supported the adage "Be careful what you wish for". I have heard of a few major mistakes he has committed recently.

First off he broke up with a very powerful woman for someone I have barely ever heard of (mind you this is my opinion. I am in no way an expert like Tom Cruise is).

Secondly, in an interview with Matt Lauer on the "Today" show Cruise said he knew "the history of psychiatry". Now again I'm no expert but if psychology is like any other field in existence today that is a bold claim. Psychology is millennia old Tom. I guarantee he doesn't know the history of psychiatry. I challenge him to go against anyone who's actually in the field. So I thought maybe he was angry and not thinking.

Yet tonight I see Cruise's arrogance when after a German reporter asked about life outside earth, Cruise had the gull to say "Of course...Are you really so arrogant as to believe we are alone in this universe? ". Tom Cruise needs to remember he is an actor. He is not a doctor, has no masters degree, is not a historian, psychiatrist, psychologist, a Nobel prize winner, a competent interviewer or anything else meriting such remarks.

Cruise, you're a "Top Gun" who needs cue cards. You need to start biting your tongue when the card is missing. When someone needs help in acting go ahead and give them advice. (unless you're already going senile or does that condition not exist either?). When someone does or doesn't ask for help in medicine keep your mouth shut.

No comments: