Thursday, March 20, 2008

Finding and Freeing Kareem

Though I need no protection, (at least I am under the impression that protection is unnecessary at the moment), I have decided to become an advocate for the Committee to Protect Bloggers. The link I have just posted is a shut down version of CPB, but it is what led me to Morpheme Tales, a blog by Curt Morpheme, a man whose accomplishments are long. My experience with him is short enough that I will Curt's about page describe him.

Through Curt's page I found the Committee to Protect Bloggers on Facebook and that is where I finally found Kareem. An appeal to everyone, especially bloggers but especially everyone, to send snail mail to Kareem who has been imprisoned for what amounts to attempting to exercise free speech on the internet in Egypt. He criticized his school and president on his blog and received a four year sentence early last year.

From April 7 to April 21 everyone is encouraged to send mail supporting Kareem for his right to voice his opinion. CPB in conjunction with FreeKareem.org are telling their members to send letters of support to the following address:

Alexandria
Borg Al-Arab Prison
Room 1 Section 22
Prisoner Abdul Kareem Nabil Suleiman
The Arab Republic of Egypt

The Arabic form of this address must be on the envelope in order for it to reach Kareem.

1 comment:

Curt Hopkins said...

Hey Jay: I'm looking to add a few contributors with an eventual eye to letting one of them become the new editor of the CPB. Esra'a from Free Kareem suggested I look at your blog. If you're interested, could you write and let me know a bit about you? Thanks. I'm at committeetoprotectbloggers (at) gmail (dot) com. Best, Curt